With the objective to foster and accelerate AI in Europe, appliedAI by UnternehmerTUM (Germany), Ignite Sweden, AI Sweden and RISE Research Institutes of Sweden (Sweden) came together in early 2020 to start the initial steps in mapping the AI startup ecosystem in Europe.
It is essential to shine a light on the top AI startups in Europe in order to drive AI adoption and create more partnership opportunities between startups and corporations. By creating a centralized database of quality AI startups, corporations and SMEs will have easier access to AI partners they can trust.
Why is it so important to bring together AI startups and corporations? There are several reasons why collaboration between startups and fully developed companies is the best option, not only for both parties – but for the economy as a whole. First, while almost all companies require a broad selection of AI solutions, startups focus on one specific niche. They provide the necessary solutions with the latest technology. Secondly, AI systems increase in performance with more data and applications. Therefore, in non-competitive use cases, a technology from a startup that supplies many companies tends to perform better than a stand-alone solution for one specific application in one company. Additionally, AI is a fundamentally challenging task to implement in the eye of a rapidly increasing need to develop new roles, adapt processes, collect data, hire new skills, or work in agile settings. Partnering with startups helps companies to get rid of some of these challenges and allows them to focus on value creation.
On November 17, 2020 during the virtual Sweden Innovation Days event the first version of the landscape was presented which includes over 500 startups from France, Germany and Sweden. Supported by the German Entrepreneurship and the German Accelerator program as well as Vinnova, Sweden's Innovation Agency - appliedAI (Germany), Ignite Sweden, AI Sweden, RISE Research Institutes of Sweden (Sweden) as well as Hub France IA (France) developed a list of the top AI startups in their respective countries which have been combined here to provide an overview of the best AI startups in Europe. The goal of this landscape is to give companies guidance and promising startups a visible platform, benefiting both parties and driving the adoption of AI.
Following the initial launch of the German/Swedish/French landscape, other European AI initiatives will be asked to participate in order to grow the landscape to include startups from more countries.
How to Use the Landscape
- Below you can view all startups sorted via their primary category within the clusters of Industry, Technology Type, Enterprise Intelligence or Enterprise Function.
- You can also search for startups via their name or keywords found in their description.
- Hover over the logo and click the magnifying glass to read the full company description, or click the logo directly to head to the startups website and learn even more.
- Below the map you can find a table with all startups listed with even more details including secondary categories.
About the Landscape
All startups displayed on the European AI Startup Landscape have AI at their core or exhibit a significant usage of AI. They were founded less than 10 years ago or pivoted their core business model less than 10 years ago and their headquarters or founder are based in Europe. Each startup was put forth and verified by the organization(s) of its respective country.
German startups - appliedAI
French startups - Hub France IA
The clustering logic is based on Shivon Zilis’ landscape of machine intelligence. It is developed from the point-of-view of companies that want to use AI in their businesses:
- Enterprise Functions: Increasing productivity of existing tasks – Support your employees with ready-to-use, AI-enabled tools supporting their day-to-day work to increase productivity.
- Enterprise Intelligence: Exploiting new data sources – Tap into new insights that were previously too difficult or expensive to be gained through conventional methods.
- Technology Type: Building products with ML: Give developers the tools that they need to build and leverage machine learning software to gain a competitive advantage.
- Industries: Leveraging AI-first products: Use and cooperate with startups using machine learning to offer industry-related products and services.
Senior Communications Manager