About the Norwegian AI Startup Landscape
Become a member of the Norwegian AI Startup Landscape, and join our platform featuring and promoting Norwegian startups in Norway! By joining our platform, you will increase your chances of attracting customers, talent and partners in Norway, and in Europe at large.
Are you one of the great Norwegian startups using AI technology to work towards a better future? Previously there was no platform to showcase and connect great innovators in Norway, not only within the ecosystem, but also with early investors and potential customers. Without a visible and effective platform, many potential clients and partners may fail to discover you, your solutions and products.
This is why the Norwegian Artificial Intelligence Research Consortium (NORA), Cluster for Applied AI and the Norwegian Open AI Lab (NAIL) have joined forces to create the Norwegian AI Startup Landscape, promoting great startups from all over the country! The Norwegian AI Startup Landscape features quality AI startups and gives promising companies like yours a visible platform to showcase your solutions and technology. It also makes it easier for corporations, SMEs, investors and stakeholders, among others, to access AI partners they can trust.
The landscape opens new horizons for startups nationally, while also contributing to the application of AI in Norway. A win-win for both startups and the country!
The AI startups included in the landscape are private companies with headquarters and significant development activity in Norway. They have artificial intelligence (AI) at their core or exhibit a significant usage of AI.
The first version of the Norwegian AI startup landscape will be published summer 2022!
The selection process for the Norwegian AI Startup Landscape is as follows:
- The startups apply to become part of the Norwegian AI landscape
- The startups are evaluated by an independent evaluation committee. Representatives are appointed from industry, academia, startups and incubators.
- The selection criteria are based on the use of AI in the startup, scalability, access to and use of data, and the AI skills of the team.
- The final result is visualized on the landscape.
The evaluation committee will also evaluate the following AI-specific criteria:
- Company must be registered in Norway
- Have been founded less than 10 years ago or pivoted their core business model to AI less than 10 years ago.
- Headquarters must be situated in Norway
- The startup should have a minimum of two Full Time Equivalents (FTEs)
- The startup should have a minimum of one FTE with AI competence or documented relationship with experts at a University.
- The startup should have AI at their core or exhibit a significant usage of AI.
What happens next?
- An evaluation committee of startups, large companies, academia and incubators evaluates your application.
- If your startup meets the criteria, you will be notified via e-mail.
- Your startup will be included in the next update of the Norwegian AI Startup Landscape website.
- If your startup does not meet the requirements, your application may be reconsidered by the evaluation committee in a future evaluation.
About Contributing Organizations
About Cluster for Applied AI
Cluster for Applied AI is Norway’s first business cluster for applied AI, with the main goal of serving and developing a leading eco system for commercial use of the most potent technology of our time. Today the cluster has come to hold more than 86 members and close collaborating partners, representing the entire value chain of AI- from the competent problem owners with crucial domain competencies, to the actors that does research and develop solutions for handling and analyzing data that addresses specific problems. Cluster for Applied AI is mentioned by name in the Norwegian national strategy for artificial intelligence, which was released in January 2020.
Cluster for Applied AI is hosted by Smart Innovation Norway, a Norwegian research and innovation company with a main purpose to practice independent, applied research within the fields of renewable energy and information technology (AI), and to develop and facilitate networks that enables profitable and sustainable use of artificial intelligence in a business context.
About the Norwegian Artificial Intelligence Research Consortium (NORA)
NORA – Norwegian Artificial Intelligence Research Consortium – is a Norwegian collaboration between 8 universities, 3 university colleges and 4 research institutes within AI, machine learning and robotics. NORA aims to strengthen Norwegian research, education and innovation within artificial intelligence, machine learning and robotics, as well as other relevant research that supports the development of artificial intelligence applications.
Recognised by Innovation Norway as an entrepreneurial ecosystem for AI in Norway, NORA.startup is NORA’s innovation platform. NORA.startup works to build a knowledge-based innovation arena that facilitates networking and collaboration opportunities across the research and the startup community in Norway within artificial intelligence, machine learning and robotics. NORA.startup has 20+ startup companies and 30+ researchers.
About Norwegian Open AI Lab
Norwegian Open AI Lab (NAIL) is a research centre connecting research, education and innovation in artificial intelligence. NAIL's ambition is to be the premier hub for cooperation between Norwegian universities, research institutes, and the private and public sector, focusing on applied research and research driven innovation within sustainable and trustworthy AI. NAIL contributes to continued education and professional development within AI topics, and is responsible for the Norwegian version of the online course 'Elements of AI'.
NAIL is hosted by Norway's largest university NTNU, and is co-funded by its partnership base, including some of the biggest and most ambitious companies in the country, smaller companies, municipalities and other public sector organisations, as well as partners from the Norwegian research sector.
Innovation and Industry Coordinator at The Norwegian Artificial Intelligence Research Consortium (NORA)
Marianne Jansson Bjerkman
Cluster Manager for Cluster for Applied AI
Director of Norwegian Open AI Lab (NAIL)